Wednesday, September 15, 2010

for Today


So what's the revelation for today?
I have a firm belief that every human being deserves your time, respect, love, and a simple hug or conversation. Everyone. No matter what's happening or how busy you are.
I never want to end a day and think back about how I might have helped someone here or been a shoulder to cry on over there.
Never.
I never want to not smile at someone or forget to say hello to the person who's hiding from everyone because they can't face what's inside of them. I want to look back at the end of the day and realize that I did everything humanly possible on my account to help or reach out to others.
I had a good friend who passed away in high school my senior year, and if he taught me anything by his life, it was this.
Don't let a day go by with the thoughts: "I'll talk to them later" or "This conversation will pop up on it's own eventually" or even: "They looked like they needed a hug", "I wonder how they're doing", and "I haven't spoken to them in a long time."
I never had the opportunity to say goodbye. But I have the opportunity now to make sure I say all I can and live out what I believe with no regrets, and leave no one behind.
My friend who died... many people thought he was weird for all of high school. Not everyone gave him the respect he deserved. No one saw things that I saw.
He had an enormous heart.
He was concerned for other people.
He never let me continue in my day if I looked upset without asking what was wrong or if I needed anyone to talk to.
I'm angered that many people never had the chance to see this side of him. To see the friend that he was to me. To see the friend that I still miss to this day.
I want to make sure that I am that friend to others.
Maybe it's time to pick up the phone, send that email, or smile at that stranger who's world is falling apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment