Saturday, June 25, 2011

Worth Reading

I think sometimes we get terribly selfish. We go around and think that everything should cater to us, and everyone should remember us. Us. My. Mine. Me. The quote below brings me to tears every time I read it. 
Every time. 
It's worth reading.
Because it reminds me that it's not about me. My call is actually not about me. What I want to do isn't for my own benefit or accord. My call is for others. My traveling and hardships are to be shared. Who am I to forget why I'm actually here? To focus so much on myself that I forget that my ultimate goal isn't to serve myself? 
Honestly? It's not about me. I need to get over myself. 
Anything I do for the call is an opportunity to take part in the heart that God has given me. God gave this to me. God gave me this vision. It isn't mine to hoard, but it is mine to share. God gave me this life. It isn't to serve myself, it's to serve others.  God gave me this heart. It isn't mine to keep, but it is mine to give away.

"You know its not hard to see that there's this great imbalance and that things aren't right. You know I know that, but for me I suppose it really hits home when I stop and think about this moment because it's happening right now. In the same moment you have a generation who are sitting around entertaining themselves watching reality television, which to be honest is anything but real, while you have a child who is being prostituted behind closed doors and robbed of their innocence. It's not fair that we can go about consuming every single material option that comes our way while the widow and orphan are stripped of life's basic dignities because they're victims of a conflict that simply isn't theirs. It's not fair that we have a generation who are choking on their obesity while at the same time there are 30,000 children who die today for lack of food. It’s not fair that we have no problem going about spending $3-4 on what is basically glorified tap water in a bottle with a fancy label while you have entire communities who suffer at the hands of disease because the only water that they have access to is foul and polluted. It's not fair that we can sing and dance and jump around in our freedom and liberty when at the same time the slave remains captive out of sight and out of mind. It’s not fair that we can sit and watch the evening news from the comfort of our living rooms and pity those who lived where the storm hit or where the ground shook or where the waters rose and simply feel sorry for them, and then change the channel and get on with supper. Is it fair to walk past the homeless man and give him nothing in the assumption that he’ll spend it on booze or cigarettes or that you suggest that he goes out and gets a job? I mean, who are we to judge the alcoholic or the prostitute or the addict or the criminal as if we’re any better? Who are we to forget the downtrodden, or the oppressed or the marginalized while we go about chasing the dream? We see this imbalance and we amend “that’s not right, that’s not fair”, but all too often that’s all we do, because for us to do anything more is actually going to cost us something. Perhaps then it's fair to say that when we ignore the prostituted child, we actually lent our hand to their abuse. When we ignore the widow and the orphan in their distress we actually add to their pain. When we ignore the slave that remains captive that it's us who's entrapping them. That when we forget the refugee that it's us who's displacing them. That when we choose not to help the poor and the needy that we actually rob them. Perhaps the only fair thing to say is that when we forsake the lives of others we actually forsake our own." -Joel Houston, I ♥ Revolution

May I take what precious and little I have and throw it all away in order to chase whole-heartedly the purpose that God has set ablaze in my soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment